Gold (yellow or white) is appropriate for initial piercings if it is 14k or higher, nickel-free, and alloyed for biocompatibility. Gold higher than 18k is too soft for body jewelry because it can easily be scratched or nicked.
Then, is 14K gold good for earrings?
The most common type of gold used in jewelry in the U.S. is 14K and it was created to make a gold piece more affordable, at the expense of having less gold. This karat amount contains 58.3% gold, and similar to 18K, its strength is a good fit for rings and bracelets to necklaces and earrings.
Also, what earrings do you get pierced with?
Surgical stainless steel earrings are typically your best bet for new piercings, as this metal is the least likely to cause an allergic reaction. Nickel and cobalt allergies are very common, so avoid these metals when you first get your ears pierced.
What jewelry is best for piercings?
The following are jewelry materials approved by the APP for fresh piercings.
- Surgical steel. Surgical steel is a popular choice for piercings because it’s affordable, durable, and safe for most. …
- Nobium. Like titanium, nobium is hypoallergenic. …
- 14 karat gold. …
- Biocompatible polymers (plastics) …
Gold plated, gold-filled, or gold overlay/vermeil jewelry is not acceptable for sensitive ear piercings. All of these involve coating a base metal with a layer of gold.
14k gold–what we use–contains 58% pure gold, the remaining 42% is an alloy of metals such as silver and copper. The alloy is what makes the gold stronger, and is perfect for everyday wear. Most people with metal sensitivities are recommended to wear 14k gold and up (not white gold though!)
14 karat gold is made up of 58.3% gold and 41.7% alloy, or 14 out of 24 parts gold. … Rings and other jewelry made using 14K gold are significantly more durable than those made with 18k gold, making this type of gold a good choice if you’re concerned about scuffs and scratches.
Better sterling-based pieces are often plated in 18k to compete with fine 18k or even 14k gold jewelry. In my opinion, 18k gold plating is more convincing in terms giving the piece a more luxe look, while 14k gold plating can look lighter or whiter than fine jewelry crafted in 14k gold.
14k gold-filled can last beautifully for many years. But we’ve found that the wrong chemicals, when left on the surface of your pieces, can cause the gold to darken more quickly than it should.
Gold, especially 10k and 14k gold, usually contains enough non-gold metal that it can cause discoloration. … And when these skin secretions dissolve with the ring chemicals, the gold ring turns finger green. With each chemical used in the ring, you will experience different colors.
Advantages of 10K Gold
In addition to its lower price, 10K gold is slightly more durable than 14K gold. Because it’s made from a smaller amount of pure gold and a larger amount of more durable alloy metals, this type of gold is more resistant to scratches, scuffs, dents and other common damage.
Hence, carrying out the piercing after the baby is at least 6 months old or older is recommended. If you would like your child to have a say in getting the piercing, then it is advisable to wait till your child is about 9 or 10 years old.
Ear Piercing is FREE with the purchase of a starter kit. Starter kits are priced from $30 and include the piercing earrings and standard After Care Solution. Ear cartilage piercing is subject to an additional charge. Can I get my nose pierced at Claire’s?