- Stop any bleeding by applying direct pressure to the piercing site.
- Apply a cold pack to help reduce swelling or bruising. …
- Wash the wound for 5 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day, with large amounts of warm water.
- Elevate the piercing area, if possible, to help reduce swelling.
Also know, how do I know if my double helix is infected?
What are the symptoms of infected ear piercings?
- Discharge coming out of the piercing.
- Redness, warmth or swelling around the piercing.
- Tenderness in the pierced earlobe or cartilage.
The swelling tends to increase for several days after the piercing, and it may last for a week or slightly longer .
Likewise, how long does a double helix take to heal?
Can I ice my helix piercing?
How can I make a cartilage piercing swelling go down? Use a hot compress – get a small towel or washcloth, soak it in hot water, squeeze out any excess water and gently press it to the piercing. You can also ice it or take ibuprofen to help reduce swelling.
Is it normal for helix piercing to swell?
Cartilage piercings heal more slowly than earlobe piercings and are prone to irritation. In the first few days after getting your piercing, you may notice a bump or general swelling around the jewelry. You may also experience: redness.
Why is my helix piercing throbbing?
Cartilage piercings can have major differences in pain level and healing time. … After an hour or two, the sharp pain will transition into a more general throbbing. This intense throbbing pain will last for at least a few days before easing up. You can expect to have some difficulty sleeping the first few nights.
What do you do for an infected helix piercing?
- choose a qualified, experienced and licensed piercer.
- clean your piercing twice a day.
- use warm, salty water to soften any crusting.
- gently turn the jewellery while cleaning the piercing.
- use a clean paper towel to dry the piercing.
- gargle with salty water or an alcohol-free mouthwash if you have a mouth piercing.
How do I know if my helix piercing is healed?
Signs that the piercing is fully healed include the site of the piercing being normal colored and not red, swollen, or tender; no clear or yellowish fluid draining; and no pain when the area is touched. The earliest a cartilage piercing heals for most people is 3 months.
What to do when piercing swells?
Treating the infection at home
- Wash your hands before touching or cleaning your piercing.
- Clean around the piercing with a saltwater rinse three times a day. …
- Don’t use alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or antibiotic ointments. …
- Don’t remove the piercing. …
- Clean the piercing on both sides of your earlobe.
Should I ice my piercing?
Turn the piercing: Rotate the piercing several times each day so that your earlobe does not swell around it. Ice: Ice helps decrease swelling and pain. Use an ice pack, or put crushed ice in a plastic bag. Cover it with a towel and place it on your earlobe for 15 to 20 minutes every hour or as directed.
Is my piercing infected or just healing?
According to Thompson, the telltale signs of an infection are simple: “The area around the piercing is warm to the touch, you notice extreme redness or red streaks protruding from it, and it has discolored pus, normally with a green or brown tint,” Thompson says.
Are helix piercings hard to heal?
Helix piercings generally take around three-to-six months to heal. However, if you don’t properly look after your new piercing as it heals, it could take longer—or you could have to get it re-pierced and start all over. … “It can take up to a year to fully heal in some individuals.”
Should I get a single or double helix piercing?
They say two is better than one, and it’s certainly true with the double helix piercing. The best part about the helix is that it offers a wide area for piercing. Because of this, you can opt for double helix piercings close to each other, far away, or anything in between.